Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Camino: Palas de Rei to Ribidiso

05/06/19
I made a Pilgrim 101 error last night, leaving my boots outside to air out on an evening that turned into torrential rain. There was no chance of drying them for the day so I stuffed them with newspaper (the part of Pilgrim 101 I actually remembered) & sent them ahead to meet up with me in Ribidiso. This left me without my trusty waterproof boots on a decidedly rainy day. A lesson I won't soon forget!

We stopped frequently to warm up & dry off in small cafes along the heavily wooded path. We really can't complain as weather has been exceptional during my Camino.

We were particularly excited to stop in the bustling town of Melide, famous for its highly-recommended Pulpo a la Gallega in restaurant Pulperia Ezequiel. I'm not normally a fan of octopus as I find it can be rubbery. I'm now a fan after Galician pulpo. Prepared with olive oil & dusted with paprika & sea salt, the dish is meaty & perfectly paired with hearty chunks of bread & Ribeiro wine served in big ceramic cups. We were forced to force down two plates & a full bottle of wine.

Heavy rain made our lovely pension in tiny Ribidiso a happy respite. The wet chill set in so I made a wet run to the nearby cafe for hot chocolates & we hunkered down in our lovely room for a cozy evening of laundry & boot drying. Just what the doctor ordered.

27k to Ribidiso (population tbd- two buildings & a cafe)










No comments: