Thursday, August 26, 2010

Child Birth, Marathons & Machu Picchu

They say they are certain things in life that while you are doing them you say to yourself, “I will NEVER do this again!” I can’t testify to childbirth but can promise you are not considering another marathon as you cross the finish line after running 4+ hours. This trek to Machu Picchu is a lot like that.

Yesterday was described as our toughest day of the trek. I can only hope that advertisement is true. The prior evening I got a case of Incan revenge & spent most of the evening & trekking day, cramping & nauseous. For the life of me, I can’t think of what I ate or drank, although I have caught myself about to rinse my toothbrush at the tap several times.

After an early morning start, our band of 11 hiked up the Rio Blanco valley, circling Humantay Peak. After reaching the highest point of our trek at 15,000 ft., we stopped for obligatory pictures at the sign marking the peak. The air was thin as we took in the views of the glacial moraines & the surrounding Vilcabamba Range. The GI issues left me very weak- I was just focused on moving one foot in front of the next & had to take constant breaks to catch my breath. I could not have been happier to arrive at our lodge (still at 12,000 ft). I knew in my heart, there was no way I was not going to finish this day- no matter what! This day was truly one of the toughest endeavors I’ve undertaken but as they say, “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” and already, I find one day later, the pain of the day has started to fade & is replaced by memories of the beauty that surrounds me in these mountains. I wonder if childbirth works that way? I did do another marathon so I can only imagine it does.

No comments: