Sunday, August 22, 2010

My Day with the Sexy Woman

Apparently Peruvians & I can’t resist a parade!

This morning I planted myself on the church steps at Plaza de Armas (the plaza is said to sit in the exact center of the Incan empire) to enjoy the weekly military parade. It was interesting to see the dignitaries, militia in uniform and watch as the Peruvians proudly sang their national anthem.


These folks know how to throw parades. While the main parade is going on, other competing parades continued to break out. A local men’s club here… a scout troop there. But my favorite was the religious parade. I’m a sucker for anyone carrying a two-ton Madonna. She was covered in gold and was followed by smaller sub-Madonnas and a band of masked men drinking 1-liter cervasas.. I was fascinated as snippets of daily life unfolded- boys enjoying a final cell phone call and ice cream before their band began performing, the old ladies in their traditional bombin bowler hats, the local business men in their Sunday finery practicing drums for their own parade. What a wonderful weekly tradition!


As the festivities wound down, I went to visit the Sexy Woman. Sexy Woman is the local name for the Sacsayhuaman ruins (say it quickly and it does sound like Sexy Woman!) Translated, it really means “city of stone” but that name wouldn’t draw as many tourists, would it? Construction began in the 1440s, requiring 20,000 workers to finish the project. With its sweeping views of Cusco, the ruin once served as an important military position for the Incans.


Today, it served as my first test of stamina as I walked up to enjoy the site. Yes, my lungs burned and my breathing was labored but I thoroughly enjoyed it and also had the chance to make friends with a number of alpaca / llama up on the mountainside. I can’t tell them apart and even googled to learn this differentiating skill (www.ehow.com/how_5324124_tell-difference-between-llama-alpaca.html ) to avoid offending any alpaca / llama I may meet in the future.


Tonight we meet our fellow hikers for orientation. Tomorrow, let the games begin!

5 comments:

Kelli Watson Pacicco said...

You are a fabulous writer! I feel like I am there with you! Thanks so much

Sandy Logue Carovano said...

We loved Sexy Woman! Have a great time. It is hard but beautiful and likely not as tough as Kili. Stay healthy my friend.

Debbie Brackett said...

Breath deep, stay sure-footed, and enjoy your trip. Don't get too too friendly with the llamas and we look forward to seeing you when you return.

Unknown said...

Hey Jo

Love reading your story. I'm sure all you conditioning will stand you in good stead. Keep the stories coming. If I can't get there myself, at least I can experience it through you.

Jess

hollyhahn15 said...

Dear Joanne,
Looks like the adventure of a lifetime...but you have had many...Is "sub madonaa" an offical term? I think you should invest in one of those snappy Bowlers with your cute short do!!! I have read that Huayna Picchu is rated higher than Macchicu Picchu..they take only 400 guest every day..in two groups of 200 people wait at the gates at at sunrise for the opportunity....I an waiting for photos of critters, you and your husband in sharp Alpaca sweaters (some cool nights)and stunning views...I think your next job is a journalist for a travel journal..you do have a gift...I think Don and I are going to have to take advatage of our free travel on Americal Airlines...you have made me want to jump into and adventure!!!! Have a safe and wonderful journey!!! Dawn