Thursday, August 19, 2010

Machu Picchu, Here we come!

I feel like packing is my part-time job. I'm on final approach for my Machu Picchu adventure. I've had a number of queries as to what is Machu Picchu & why in the world I would want to go there.

Machu Picchu was selected as one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World in 2007. This lost city of the Incas was thought to have been built around 1400AD but was later abandoned as the official site for Incan rulers a century later during the Spanish conquest. It was "re-discovered" in 1911 by US scholar and adventurer Hiram Bingham (the role model for Indiana Jones) and has since become Peru's premier tourist destination.

My friend, Nicole, & I will depart from Lima to the town of Cusco (situated at 10,000+ feet) to acclimate to the altitude before heading up the Salkantay trail for our trek. While we'll reach heights of 15,000 feet, Machu Picchu is nestled in a lower valley. After our day in MP, Nicole will head back to NYC and I'll move to Reserva Amazonica, an eco-lodge in the Amazon basin. I'm hopping to encounter lots of interesting "critters" there.

We'll keep you posted on our progress. Adios!

No comments: