Sunday, May 5, 2019

Camino: Estella to Los Arcos

05/05/19
The Irache pilgrim wine fountain came early this morning. It's a "must" to enjoy a shell full or two when leaving Estella. I'd hate to be impolite. After a quick stop, I peeled off to enjoy a quiet side path where I encountered only one other pilgrim until the afternoon. So serene. As I left the heavily wooded path, I came across Eduardo's Cafe Movil- a hopping little respite with a food truck and comfy grass patches. His eclectic playlist included Cher, the Rolling Stones & the Bee Gees.

Today I also learned how Spain really shuts down on Sundays. Not just the daily 2-5pm siesta, but basic tiendas (stores) & restaurants were closed up tight. In Los Arcos, even the famous cathedral was closed until evening services. It was spectacular & well worth the wait. I find it hard to understand how so many small towns maintain such grand cathedrals full of priceless artifacts. Los Arcos occupies an important location along the Rio Odron and is at the crossroads of two ancient trade routes. The name comes from a battle where the city was defended by archers using bows (arcos) & arrows.
23K to Los Arcos (population 1200)





Los Arcos Cathedral






No comments: