Sunday, May 26, 2019

Camino: Rabanal del Camino to El Acebo


25/05/19
Today was one of the "big days" you always hear about when planning your Camino- Cruz de Ferro.

Cruz de Ferro, the tall wooden pole topped with an iron cross, sits atop one of the highest points on the Camino Frances.The monument was supposedly originally erected by the Celts, then dedicated by the Romans before later being renamed as a Christian site. Pilgrims bring a stone to represent a burden they wish to leave on the Camino. I chose to bring happy things with me to leave at the cross- a rock from a place that brings me happiness & a stone cross provided by a neighbor for my Camino.It's hard to think of all the thoughts, wishes, grief & hope that has surfaced at this site.

While I was prepared for the incline up & power of the cross, I wasn't fully expecting the rocky downhill. The problem was that the flowers & views were so spectacular than you hated to keep your eyes down to carefully maneuver across the lava-like rocky trails. I was glad when we finally rolled into tiny El Acebo. Even better, El Acebo had a spa & even betterer (yep, my word) was the masseuse, Jose. I had one of my top 10 massages, or maybe it was just one of the top 10 times I really needed a massage.

27k to El Acebo (population 37)


Color abounds on this leg of the Camino




Ascending to the famous Cruz de Ferro where pilgrims add a stone signifying a burden or wish


Sunset by our friend, Nicole

What goes up, must come down. Tough downhill paths into El Acebo





No comments: