Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Camino: Ponferrada to Villafranca del Bierzo

28/05/19
First of all, it is hard to believe I have been on the trail one month today. But on the other hand, it seems like I have been traveling the path for a long time.

Today was one of those days that I knew nothing about when I started. No one had alerted me to spectacular sights or drop dead views. Boy, did that change as the day progressed. In fact, this stage was one of my favorite on the Camino.

Betty elected to stay in Ponferrada to enjoy the Templar Castle & nurse some foot issues. I left early with fellow pilgrim, Nicole. She greeted me with a chocolate croissant (always a good omen)  & we quickly took in the street art & small neighborhood churches on the outskirts of the city as we strolled out of Ponferrada. We happened into a pilgrim winery offering tapas & wine tasting on the trail. While there, we picked up other interesting travelers.

As we navigated a forest path, around a bend was a slice of heaven. A festive food truck with healthy treats was tucked in amongst the foliage. It featured a full living room, complete with sofa, chairs, TV, a hammock & a picnic table. They even had a cute dog who singled me out as the weak link to most likely to give him some queso. After filling our bellies & bidding adieu, we immediately happened into a man selling big paper cones full of local cherries.  If my head wasn't already about to explode, we then ended up in the picture postcard town of Cacabellas with its tiny ivy-covered inns, creative murals & historic churches.  Needing a final bit of energy for the last portion of the hike, we ended up in a quirky donativo aubergue serving up fresh juice & good karma. Fortified, we energetically covered the final 10k through vineyards on our way into delightful Villafranca del Bierzo. 

Our posada was directly on the Plaza Mayor convenient to restaurants and, even more importantly, a gelato shop, for our evening stroll through the parks of Villafranca & along the historic mansions of Calle del Agua.

26k to Villafranca del Bierzo (population 5000)



My nightmare job


A wonderful oasis in the woods

A break for a zuma

Adorable Cacabellas

Keep growing. I'll keep drinking


No comments: