Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Camino: Logrono to Navarette

07/05/19
After an invigorating day in the larger city of Logrono, I had purposefully planned a short day to rest my legs & take in the picturesque town of Navarette.

Navarette is tucked smack dab in the middle of mile after mile of exceptional winemaking. The region produces over 250 million liters annually (85% are reds) & has one of the higher per capita incomes in Spain due to its over 500 wineries. I'm at risk of developing a real thing for Rioja Reserve. For some reason, wine served in Spain doesn't give you a splitting headache like a night of red wine can back in the states. Trust me, I've tested this theory.

Navarette's cathedral on its sparkling town square did not disappoint.  I had a special evening, taking the public bus to a nearby town to enjoy a birthday dinner with a fellow pilgrim pal & one of my initial "Camino Family" members. You don't realize how much of a foreigner you are until you navigate local buses in a country where you have minimal communication skills. I luckily ended up in the right town. Salud!
14k to Navarette (population 2900)


Marcelino has completed over 50 Caminos

Not sure why this large toro looms over tiny Navarette
Stunning cathedral in tiny Navarette






No comments: