Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Camino: Navarette to Najara

08/05/19
Another short day through lush vineyards on my way to Najara. At a confusing fork in the road, I conferred with a new pilgrim friend. Once we landed in the middle of a field of grapevines, we retraced our steps & paid better attention to signage. As my Canadian friend & I solved all the world's problems, we enjoyed vineyard & the waterfront views from a cafe in Najara.

Najara's Monasterio de Santa Maria la Real is spectacular. The 11th-century church was built by King Garcia III whose falcon flew into a cave where he discovered a virgin statue that now lives in the original cave tucked inside the monastery.

I scored with a cozy room that even had a bathtub (woo hoo!)
18k to Najara (population 8500)

Today's fun trailmate, Sam

Eddie's birthday dinner in Najara


The monastery in Najara



The virgin from the cave





No comments: